Going to the Farmer's Market is a wonderful field trip. I delight in the sights, the sounds, the smells, the tastes, and of course, the touch of sweet fresh produce. Strawberries announce themselves, waiting to be plucked out of their boxes and baskets. When the sun is just right, they even sparkle bubbliciously. The sharp green leafy contrast to the blood red healthy seeded puffs has my name on them. I did not know how they could spell my name; they have definitely cast a spell on me!
My mouth starts to water and my fingers itch to get some of the juice. With my handy dandy bike, though, I continue on my walk through the abundance. I stumble upon pastries, orchids, fruits, vegetables, and oh, did I mention kettle corn?! I get to to the information table, filled with recipes and nutritional facts from the Pacific Coast Farmers Market Association. On some of the publications, they even have suggestions for foods to combine well with Latin and Asian produce. One recipe was even for Aloo Gobhi, one of my favorite dishes in Indian cuisine.
For those of you who have the fortune to go to a farmer's market on a regular basis, check out these fantastic reasons to attend one regularly:
~they're local
~they're seasonal
~the produce is fresh
~the money goes directly to the farmer
~you can sample different foods (I tried orange honey almonds and raspberry honey almonds today; they were both mouthwatering. I'm going back for both orders next time!)
~you discover surprises
~you meet nice people
~you create relationships with farmers who may even give you a good deal as a regular customer (you can't do that at a grocery store!)
~you'll get unique products that stand out from the rest of what folks around you may have
~you get fresh air, coupled with outdoor elements (e.g., misty rain, soft sunshine, etc.)
~you may get good deals anyway (I got organic spinach and salad mix at half the price I would have gotten at a grocery store)
I'm sure there are more reasons why going to the farmers market is a learning experience. Just go all out and explore! Most of all, have fun and bring a friend along to share in the magic. :-)
[By the way, I put one of the published recipes to good use, and I sure had a great fresh red chard stir-fry . . . . More yums to come later! :-)]