I woke up this morning, got into a bath tub, caught on that my right little toe was comparably wider and redder than my left little toe, and knew that I would need to do something. In fact, I can remember the very night over a month ago that I had such sore little toes I felt like I needed to do some reflexology on them that day. Only then, I just saw a scaly patch of skin. Now, with the blister-like appearance of other toes, I knew I was dealing with a fungal infection.
In case you are as busy as I am and have forgotten to check in with my feet occasionally and get that weekly foot bath, here's a quick summary of:
-What athlete's foot is: a fungal infection that usually starts in the extremities due to warm, wet, dark conditions to nourish the fungus.
-How it looks like: scaly, itchy, and/or blister-like skin, especially between the toes and where the toe nails start to grow.
-How it can be Infectious: scratching the feet and touching another part of your body, such as groin/armpits, etc.
Self-care at home can look like:
-Topical applications of anti-fungal, anti-infectious essential oils: cypress, geranium, lavender, tea tree (several times a day)
-Change from cotton socks to wool socks
-Keep feet dry and clean.
-Keep bedsheets and other clothes clean so that the fungal spores cannot spread.
Remember to take care of your feet! The state of your feet can reflect back to you a lot about yourself and your self-care habits.